The calendar may show that it is May, however, for half the United States; it’s felt like a warm January. So mainly out of pure spite for the weather, I am publishing one of my all-time favorite summer beverage concoctions – the Salty Puppy… because I am an optimist and summer has to come eventually!
The Salty Puppy is the non-alcoholic version of the Salty Dog, and let me tell you… the salty sweet rim coupled with refreshing lime and grapefruit juice creates a unique taste combination that you will not find in many other concoctions. It is a great pick-me-up on a hot summer’s day.
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
- Wedge of lime
- 6-8 ice cubes, cracked
- 1/2 measure lime juice
- Grapefruit juice
1. Mix the salt and sugar together in a saucer. To frost the glass, rub the rim of the highball glass with the wedge of lime and dip it into the mixture in the saucer.
2. Fill the glass with cracked ice, then add the lime juice and fill with the grapefruit juice.
3. Find some shade, put on your straw hat and enjoy.